Tenant satisfaction is one of the uppermost goals of San Diego Residential Property Management. We realize that moving can be very stressful and therefore we strive to ensure that our tenants have a smooth move-in experience into their new residence. Once you’ve signed the lease for your rental, following these instructions will assist you in negotiating the task of moving into your new home:
- Deposit must be remitted to the management office in the form of a cashier’s check payable to San Diego Residential Property Management. These funds will hold the property until move-in.
- Confirm the moving arrangements with a mover and plan your schedule. Unless otherwise noted in your lease, all tenancies begin at noon on the lease start day. Early access to rentals cannot be accommodated unless an addendum is signed by all parties in advance and rent amounts are adjusted.
- Give 30-day Notice to your current landlord, if you’ve not done so already.
- Schedule service with San Diego Gas and Electric (800-411-7343) transferring service into your name as of your possession date. Please obtain verification of your new account number and provide this information to the management office.
- Schedule service with Water/Sewer/Trash as applicable. SDRPM will advise tenants of the specific service providers in the area of the rental home. Tenants are responsible to transfer service into their name as of the possession date. Please obtain verification of your new account number and provide this information to the management office.
- Cable/Internet/Phone should be set up per each tenant’s specific requirements. Service providers vary in each area (Spectrum, Cox Communications, AT&T), as well as multiple satellite and phone companies may offer competitive services. Be sure to contact the management office for specific owner and HOA approvals required prior to installing satellite equipment.
- Secure tenant renter’s insurance and provide proof of insurance to the management office before move-in.
- A set of keys to your new rental home can be picked up from the SDRPM office after 12 p.m. on the day you are scheduled to move in. Included will also be common area and gate keys or FOB’s and mail box keys, as applicable. Garage door remotes will be located in a top kitchen drawer at the property.
- A Move-in Condition Report will be completed by the SDRPM staff prior to the scheduled move-in. This report will be provided to you when picking up keys on the day of your scheduled move-in. You will be asked to sign for this report, with a copy retained in the management office and the original sent with you. Please inspect the home during your move-in and indicate any noticeable damage on the condition report. The form must be returned to the management office within three (3) business days. Failure to return the form within the required time frame will result in the information as noted by SDRPM staff to stand as the official move-in condition information.
- An initial rental payment is due in the form a cashier’s check at the time keys are picked up. The management office will provide the amount of the required payment, pro-rated if necessary. Future rental payments may be processed through the Tenant Portal online pay, through your bank’s bill pay system or by personal check.
Tenants are required to give a written 30-day notice prior to vacating, even if your lease is expiring. A Notice to Vacate [click here for Notice to Vacate form] must be submitted to the management office as soon as you know you are moving, at a minimum within 30 days. Please complete the form and email it to info@SanDiegoRPM.com or fax it to 858-485-6562.
Once San Diego Residential Property Management is in receipt of your 30-day notice to vacate, a pre-move out inspection will be scheduled approximately 2 weeks prior to the “official” move-out date. The final move-out walk through will be completed only after all your personal property and trash/debris have been removed, the property has been cleaned (only if you have indicated that you will handle these tasks) and you are ready to relinquish the keys/remotes. You are considered the tenant of the property and are responsible for rent and utilities until all the keys are turned in and garage door remotes are collected.
In order to assist the vacating tenant, San Diego Residential Property Management can schedule the house cleaning, window cleaning and carpet cleaning with our preferred vendors after the tenant move-out. The costs for these services are tenant responsibility and will be retained from the tenant security deposit. In addition, any maintenance or damage that is tenant caused must be repaired by the tenant. Work that is not completed at the time of move-out will be scheduled with the appropriate vendor(s) and the costs will be retained from the tenant security deposit.
A note regarding security deposits………
As a general rule, the better the condition that the property is left by the vacating tenant, the less money and time it will take to bring the property to its proper move-out condition. We expect that the property is returned to us in the same condition that it was given to you, less normal wear & tear. Please be sure to provide your forwarding address to the management office so that mail and your deposit check can be sent to you in a timely manner. Once any necessary work is completed at the property and all unpaid tenant bills are recorded, the tenant security deposit will be reconciled against charges due. The security deposit disposition paperwork and check will be sent to the tenant’s forwarding address within 21 days of move-out. If you need to vacate the property prior to the end of the lease term, you will be financially responsible for the rental amount and utilities throughout the remaining term of the lease.
Vacancy Cleaning Specifications
- Remove all trash, debris and personal items from home, garage and yard.
- All food removed from the refrigerator(s) and freezer(s).
- Clean all appliances thoroughly, including washer & dryer if applicable.
- Clean and disinfect kitchen and baths including sinks, cabinet fronts, shelves & drawers, counters, mirrors and floors.
- Clean all light fixtures that can be reached safely.
- Carpeting must be professionally cleaned and receipt turned in with keys (unless work is scheduled through SDRPM office).
- Wash non-carpeted floors. Remove stains and marks.
- Wash walls carefully; pay special attention to areas around light switches, hallways doors and baseboards.
- Wipe down all doors, door casings and base moldings.
- Clean all windows inside and out including screens and tracks. Secure all screens and remove cobwebs inside and out (unless work is scheduled through SDRPM office).
- Make needed repairs to screens and screen doors if the damage is tenant caused.
- Repair or have repaired any damage you or your pets have caused.
- Mow, trim and remove debris from yard (only if tenant was responsible for yard care per lease).
- Make arrangements to have your trash picked up before you discontinue service.
This is not an exhaustive list, however it is provided as a general guideline for expectations of vacancy cleaning.